ProSig® is the centerpiece of the WSP Infrastructure Engineering GmbH software family for planning and projecting signalling systems, cabling systems and cable ducts. It is employed with great success as a planning support tool for railway signalling and safety systems by planning offices, industry trains, in research and teaching as well as in the infrastructure department of the Deutsche Bahn, where it is the de facto standard software.
The topic of BIM is currently on everyone's lips and has recently reached all rail infrastructure domains, signaling and safety systems (LST) in particular.
In this context, more and more LST planning projects, which are carried out using the BIM method, have been launched since the beginning of this year.
A central result is the handover of a 3D model to the client, which contains the structural LST objects such as signals, axle counters and track magnets.
In order to meet the BIM requirements in current and future projects, we have focused on two activities in particular over the past few months:
- A close collaboration with the Interlocking Technology division of DB Netz (I.NAI 444) for the creation of a standardized LST component library according to standard drawings. In addition, a distinction is made between three LOD (Level of Detail) for the preliminary, draft and implementation planning, with increasing detail for the 3D objects (see example in Figure 1).
- Implementation of a corresponding software module "LST2BIM" in the latest ProSig version. During planning the 3D components (e.g. signal configurations and foundations) can be assigned to the respective LST objects via the 2D symbols in the plan. Ultimately, a complete BIM/3D project file is automatically exported in the officially defined IFC format (see excerpt in Figure 2).
Furthermore, together with our partners, we have initiated a series of activities that accompany and support the complex topic of "BIM in the field of signaling and safety systems":
- An article in the IB&T Group's customer magazine interAktiv, which will appear in the end of September issue: (https://www.card-1.com/aktuell/kundenmagazin)
- An LST2BIM Summer Camp together with Siemens Mobility for students, lecturers and those interested in BIM.
Register here: https://lst2bim-summercamp.siemens-events.com/signup/landing
- A ProSig webinar series in October and November with project-relevant aspects on the topic of "Digital planning in the context of BIM and ETCS", start on Oct. 4th, 2021.
Register here: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/2924098814760873739
- An article in the magazine Der Eisenbahningenieur in the November issue. (https://www.eurailpress.de/abo/ei-der-eisenbahningenieur.html)